Walk with a Doc is an international program that encourages individuals to take a walk around town with a doctor, not only for their health but also as a way to learn how to lead a healthier life and the Culver City event is strolling into it’s fourth year.
Walk With A Doc/Culver City meets monthly on the third Saturday at 9am at Veterans Park near the tennis courts., and this month that will be February 18 @ 8:45 am. The event is organized by Culver City Pediatrician, Dr Jeffrey Penso. Warm-up and stretching with Culver-Palms YMCA Fitness Trainer Brandon Webb proceeds the walk at 8:40. am.
According to the American Heart Association walking can:
• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
• Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
• Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
• Enhance mental well-being
• Improve blood lipid profile
• Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
• Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
• Reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
Walking is low impact and easier on the joints than running. It is safe – with a doctor’s okay – for people with orthopedic ailments, heart conditions, and those who are more than 20% overweight. In addition, research has shown that you could gain two hours of life for each hour of regular exercise!
Make walking a part of your fitness regimen. Join Dr. Penso and other neighbors looking to improve their health and have a nice walk at Veterans Park this Saturday February 18 and monthly on the third Saturday at 9 am.
Be the first to comment