City Manager’s Office
• Olympic Champion Visits Culver City’s Expo Station – On August 10th, Mayor Jim B. Clarke welcomed four-time Olympic champion John Naber to the Culver City Station of the Metro Expo Line( As pictured left.) Naber broke four world records while earning four gold medals at the 1976 Montreal Games. Mr. Naber’s appearance was the latest in the on-going promotion by Metro and the Los Angeles 2024 Olympic Candidature Committee to thank riders for going Metro and to build enthusiasm and Olympic spirit for a bid by Los Angeles to be the host city for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
• Culver City’s Boulevard Music Summer Festival Comes to a Close – The community enjoyed this summer’s free, Thursday night concert series, which included a variety of performances from six groups and concluded on August 11th. Photos from this concert, featuring singer Missy Andersen, are included below.
• Active Shooter Training – The Culver City Fire Department participated in active shooter training, conducted by the Culver City Police Department from August 2nd through August 4th. The training consisted of both classroom training and real time exercises. Special thanks to the Culver City Police Department for its partnership and preparedness efforts for our community!
• Strike Team Deployment – From July 22nd through July 25th, the Culver City Fire Department deployed two engines and eight firefighters to assist the Los Angeles County Fire Department with the Sand Fire. The strike team, which also consisted of personnel and apparatus from Santa Monica and Beverly Hills Fire Departments, successfully saved several structures in the Acton area.
Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department
• Fox Hills Park Pride Day – The Annual Fox Hills Park Pride Day took place on Saturday, July 30th and experienced one of the most enthusiastic turn-outs ever! Nearly 40 people showed up to help beautify the park – by picking up trash, weeding the slopes, and assisting with planting. A college student who happened to be passing through was so energized by what he saw, he asked if he could stay and help and ended up weeding for three hours! Two middle school students even expressed their disappointment when the event was over, and it was time to collect their tools. Thank you to everyone who turned out to help, making this the most productive Fox Hills Park Pride Day to date!
• Fiesta La Ballona – Fiesta La Ballona returns to Veterans Park from August 26th through August 28th with live music, a beer and wine garden, food trucks and food court, carnival rides, a petting zoo and pony rides. Visit the Entertainment Tent for a three-day music and dance party featuring Latin Jazz and Fiesta-Palooza on Friday night. On Saturday, the sounds of Mariachis, the British Invasion, 80’s funk and 90’s rock culminates in SoCal Saturday Night featuring tributes to The Beach Boys and The Eagles. Sunday features World Music with Caribbean, Klezmer/Mediterranean, and Brazilian music as well as Siberian Surf Rock. Visit fiestalaballona.org/ or call 310-253-6650 for more information.
• The Police Department Thanks Culver City! – On August 2nd, the Police Department held its annual National Night Out event. The event was held at Veterans Park this year and thanks to the community, the event turned out to be a tremendous success. The Police Department wants to say thank you to everyone who attended and help celebrate the partnership with our community.