An enthusiastic crowd filled Kelly Kent’s School Board campaign launch event September 20th at the home of one of her many supporters, in Culver City’s Rancho Higuera neighborhood. Kelly Kent is running for one of two open seats on the school board. A respected neuroscientist, Dr. Kent’s campaign slogan is A Brain for Education.
Surrounded by Culver City residents, Kelly laid out her platform points in detail. If elected, Dr. Kent pledges to:
· Emphasize sustainability as a key CCUSD initiative, including the creation of a full-time sustainability manager for the district.
· Prioritize classroom design that supports team teaching and small group learning.
· Build a stronger relationship between the School District and City Hall.
· Work to make school lunches healthier on all campuses.
· Enhance professional training that enables teachers to reach all students – those that need the most intervention as well as those that benefit from greater challenges.
· Encourage School District to make computer programming classes available for all its high school students.
Kelly Kent is a professor, parent volunteer, and Culver City Commissioner with a lifelong passion for improving education, and a profound respect for parents, teachers, students, and everyone involved in the learning process.
After earning a neuroscience doctorate from USC, Dr. Kent co-founded adaptED Consultants, where she provides brain-based professional training for teachers, parent education, and student enrichment. She is also a professor of psychology at Antioch University, and a professor of neuroscience at Moorpark College.
Dr. Kent has been an active volunteer throughout her daughter’s tenure at Linwood Howe Elementary. She was instrumental in founding and implementing a free, before-school Spanish language instruction program, administered and taught entirely by volunteers. Additionally, Dr. Kent has served as a Culver City Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commissioner for the past year.
The campaign is holding a “FunRaiser Party” this Saturday evening, September 26, 7-9:30 pm at The Whole 9 Gallery, 3830 Main Street in downtown Culver City, with world class musicians Mark Shulman and Julian Coryell. $100 per person, $150 per couple.
For more information, or to volunteer, attend the “FunRaiser” or donate to Kelly Kent’s campaign:
Be the first to comment