A peacock, a sunflower head, an anatomically correct human heart in bloom, and a swirling puzzle were just a few of the stunning entries from CCUSD’s K-12 students as they interpreted this year’s PTA Reflections art contest theme: Look Within.
Each year, more than 300,000 students throughout the country create original works of art in response to a student-selected theme. Students submit completed works of art in one or more of the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, and Visual Arts.
According to the National PTA, the Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.
Culver City Council PTA chose a total of 10 winners from multiple grade levels and campuses, all of whom will advance to compete against other winners from throughout the 33rd PTA District, which stretches from Long Beach to Malibu.
According to CCPTA’s Reflections chair Patricia Garcia, “The competition was very close this year and required extra judges to determine clear winners. We have a lot of talented kids in our district.”
The winners are:
• Primary: Farragut student Nika Kalinowski
• Middle School: Emayi Y. Monroy
• High School: Samantha Carlson
• High School Special Artist: Maya Shulman
• Intermediate: Farragut student Suhaan Patel
• Primary: Linwood E. Howe student Azora James Grant
• Intermediate: Linwood E. Howe student Elizabeth Lau
• Middle School: Kylie Cox-Toyota
• Middle School Special Artist: Kaden Lee
• High School: Lacey Burnes