Walk with a Doc is a national program that encourages members of the community to take a walk around town with a doctor, not only for their health but also as a way to learn how to lead a healthier life.
Walk With A Doc/Culver City meets monthly on the third Saturday at 9am at Veterans Park near the tennis courts. The event is led by Dr Pouya Shafipour of Wellesley Medical Center, Santa Monica. Warm-up and stretching with Culver-Palms YMCA Fitness Trainer Brandon Webb before the walk at 8:40.
According to the American Heart Association walking can:
• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
• Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
• Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
• Enhance mental well-being
• Improve blood lipid profile
• Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
• Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
• Reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
Walking is low impact and easier on the joints than running. It is safe – with a doctor’s okay – for people with orthopedic ailments, heart conditions, and those who are more than 20% overweight. In addition, research has shown that you could gain two hours of life for each hour of regular exercise!
Make walking a part of your fitness regimen. Join Dr. Shafipour and other neighbors looking to improve their health at Veterans Park this Saturday and monthly on the third Saturday at 9 am.