Did you know that more than 45% of CCUSD students receive free or reduced price lunches at their schools every day? For many students, this vital resource includes free breakfast. In some circumstances, healthy, reliable meals on the weekends are not a guarantee. As we all know, healthy meals are vital for student growth, development and learning. The absence of nutrition on the weekend creates challenges for our children, families and those who serve them in our schools.
The CCUSD Backpacks for Kids Program is designed to provide food to CCUSD students who may not have access to healthy food during the weekend. Parents and staff will work together to identify students in need. Parents and student volunteers at one CCUSD location on Thursdays will fill the backpacks. The Backpacks will be delivered every Friday to each school for these students to take home anonymously.
Parents, students and community volunteers will run the program. Our school families and community members will provide pre-packaged, nonperishable foods through school food drives and other donations.
Our traditional Holiday Food Drives done at individual schools sites will now be partnering for this worthy cause – supporting the children who attend our family of schools. Throughout the weeks leading up to winter recess, each school site will be collecting a specific item for the backpacks:
• La Ballona Elementary School – Boxes or packets of instant oats or breakfast cereals (unsweetened or low sugar types such as Cheerios or Corn Flakes)
• El Marino Language School – Peanut butter (plastic jars, 16-32 oz.)
• Linwood E. Howe Elementary School – Dried pinto beans and white rice (1 or 2 lb. bags)
• El Rincon Elementary School – Canned corn, green beans or carrots (15 oz. cans)
• Farragut Elementary School – Canned chili, beef stew and tuna
• Culver City High School – Bags or boxes of pasta noodles, ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese
• Culver City Middle School – Canned spaghetti sauce (16-28 oz.)
• Culver Park High School, Culver City Adult School and Independent Study and Office of Child Development – Canned fruit (in cans or plastic)
Success for All Takes US ALL!
If you would like to volunteer and/or make a direct donation, please contact Leslie Gardner at [email protected]