Culver City will recognize the achievements of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Nobel Prize-winning civil rights leader, on his birthday – Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Culver City Senior Center, 4095 Overland Avenue. CCUSD Board of Education member Patricia Siever will chair the event.
This day of honor will be commemorated by a full-day of festivities. The event will be hosted by celebrity guest Keith David, actor and narrator of both stage and screen, most notably for films “Crash,” “The Lottery Ticket,” “Death at a Funeral,” “Stomp the Yard 2: Homecoming,” “There’s Something About Mary,” “Barbershop,” “Men at Work” and many more. Everyone is invited!
The event will include a featured screening of the award-winning documentary by filmmaker Stanley Nelson called “Freedom Riders,” which dramatically captures the journey of the civil rights movement that changed America forever.
Culver City’s 6th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration 2011
* 10:30-11 a.m. Doors Open/Marketplace Opens
* 11-11:30 a.m. Welcome and Introductions, Patricia Siever, Chair
* 11:30-11:45 a.m. Master of Ceremonies, Keith David, – A Reading
* 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Dr. Mitchell Curry, Keynote Speaker
* 12:15-2:15 p.m. Film, “Freedom Riders”
* 2:15-2:45 p.m. Refreshments, Inspirational Marketplace, West Los Angeles College Jazz Ensemble
* 2:45-3:45 p.m. Panel Discussion with Q &A
* 3:45-4 p.m. Culver City High School Chamber Singers (AVPA)
* 4-4:30 p.m. Student Essay Winners
* 4:30-5 p.m. Culver City High School Jazz Combo
* 4:45-5 p.m. Commendations & Closing Remarks, Patricia Siever, Chair
* 5-6 p.m. A Gala “Dr. MLK Birthday Celebration: Civil Rights Songs & Birthday Refreshments
* 6 p.m. Market Place Closes
Be the first to comment